New Delhi: Launched in 2016, Bakingo – an online bakery – operates on a cloud kitchen model and is now a multi-income business with a presence in over 11 cities across the country.
The road to Bakingo began six years before the company when three university friends – Himanshu Chawla, Shrey Sehgal and Suman Patra – from Netaji Subhash University in New Delhi came together for their entrepreneurial endeavors.
After a few years in corporate jobs after finishing college in 2006 and 2007, the trio founded their first company Flower Aura, an online flower, cake and personalized gift business launched in 2010.
“Flower Aura had very humble beginnings in a basement in Gurugram,” Suman told The Weekend Leader of her journey.
The business was launched with a capital of ₹2 lakh in February 2010, a year before Suman’s arrival.
“Initially, we only had one employee who worked as a customer service representative and also managed operations and delivery,” he added, before talking about the breakthrough day.
Valentine’s Day 2010 – The number of orders grew exponentially and co-founders Himanshu and Shrey had to step in to handle order deliveries.
“That day, Himanshu and I delivered at least 50% of the orders in Delhi NCR,” Shrey added.
The company grew exponentially and the founders thought it was the right time for expansion.
In 2016, Himanshu Chawla, Shrey Sehgal and Suman Patra founded Bakingo as a separate brand under a new company.
The company aims to fill the void of a company that could offer the same brand of fresh cakes with the same taste from multiple locations across the country.
“Bakery business in India has traditionally been a more localized experience, almost like a shop, which could serve the best product, but fails to grow with outlets in multiple locations,” Himanshu said.
The company offers a wider range of cakes not only in major cities like Hyderabad, Bengaluru and Delhi NCR but also in Tier 2 cities including Merrut Panipat Rohtak and Karnal among others.
Nearly 30% of Bakingo’s sales are through its website, while the remaining 70% of sales occur on other food portals such as Swiggy and Zomato.
The company ended the 2021-22 financial year with revenue of ₹75 crore and employs over 500 people. Bakingo also opened its first offline outlet in Delhi this year.